Chief Executive Officer
- Magnet Schools of America
- Location: Washington, DC
- Category: Nonprofit-Executive Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 06/07/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Chief Executive Officer
Full Job Description
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Flexible; preferred residency in Washington, DC or committed time in Washington, DC
Start date: January 1, 2023
Role type: Full time
Travel: Time in DC, some time in member districts, time in conference locations, time in partner conferences and events
Who We Are:
Magnet Schools of America (MSA) is a national nonprofit professional education association whose members are schools and school districts. The association represents and is a resource to magnet schools, parents, teachers, school boards, administrators, business leaders, community organizations and institutions of higher education.
MSA is governed by a board of directors, many of whom work in, or with, magnet schools. The executive committee is composed of the President, President-Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, Parliamentarian and Past President.
Six geographic regions from around the United States and its territories are each represented on the board by a Regional Director. The Executive Director and staff serve in the national office based in Washington, D.C.
Distinguished and accomplished thought leaders, MSA’s six Specialized Directors advise and immerse the association with cutting edge perspectives in:
- Racial and socio-economic diversity
- Immersion programming
- Civil rights
- The latest research in the field
- Legal analysis
- Partnership development and more.
All of MSA’s directors have not only been catalysts for change in their own communities, they are leading a national dialogue and creating strategies for magnet schools by improving educational environments now that lead us into the future.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) works with the MSA staff, board of directors and members to execute strategies aligned with the organization’s mission, vision, and guiding principles. The CEO leads the processes of 1) working with members to forward the core beliefs and pillars of MSA- Diversity, Innovative Curriculum and Professional Development, Academic Excellence, Leadership, Family and Community Partnerships 2) support the strategic plan of MSA 3) engage congress in positive magnet school legislation.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who believes in the power of transformational leadership and who agrees with the pillars of Magnet Schools of America. This organization is forward thinking and supportive of inclusion and excellence in education. The non-profit nature of the organization paired with local education districts is powerful to exact change across the national and the educational landscape.
MSA is a nonpartisan organization and believes strongly that regardless of party affiliation we must work to move educational processes forward for all children, conduct and support research of effective educational magnet strategies, and bring lawmakers together to create strong legislation in support of magnet schools and programs.
Our Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate for this role will be an educator with some experience in the non-profit world. This candidate will be ready to lead a strong organization focused on equity, magnet implementation and practices, building relationships with congress and partners, and focused on member districts. The ideal candidate will understand district operations and district leadership and be able to partner well with school districts, schools and educators from around the country. The ideal candidate will be the face of the organization embodying the pillars of diversity, innovation, academic excellence, leadership and family and community partnerships.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and be able to work with many stakeholders. The candidate will fit well with the MSA mission, be innovative especially in professional development and curriculum development, resourceful, and results driven. The candidate will be collaborative, focused on equity and access, flexible, and a good manager of the association and fiscal assets of the organization. The ideal candidate would be a visionary that can inspire others to follow the MSA vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The CEO will be responsible for managing a national organization with a long history and reputation of supporting and championing magnet programs and schools. The CEO will work with a staff, board of directors and members to accomplish the following duties:
- Support and implement the strategic plan as designed by staff, the board, and members
- Oversee the day-to-day business and affairs of MSA and carry out the policies and procedures of the organization
- Develop, enhance, and maintain MSA relationships with stakeholders, outside partners, congress, members, staff and board of directors
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with current and potential sponsors, partners, and congress
- Plan and execute in-person and virtual meetings and events including all conferences with a team of staff and volunteers
- Support the team of staff and others that implement initiatives out of the MSA office such as training, National Institute for Magnet School Leadership (NIMSL) activities, regional meetings, etc.
- Develop a personalized approach to assessing and meeting each member districts and schools unique needs with respect to diversity
- Facilitate partnerships and oversee/manage projects to support these partnerships
- Oversee annual budget process. Work with treasurer, auditors and financial institutions to responsibly handle all finance-related aspects of the organization's functioning, including payroll and taxes. Work with the team to satisfy all fiscal reporting obligations.
- Evaluate the efficacy, impact and resource requirements of each ongoing program, training and partnership by support NIMSL leadership and team
- Develop and execute MSA’s communications plan, including the organization’s website, social media engagement, and member communications.
- Elevate MSA’s status in the broader educational community nationally. This may include entering conversations in various parts of the country underrepresented currently by MSA, working with government agencies, writing articles, giving presentations, and conducting media interviews about MSA as an organization or initiative supported by MSA
Magnet Schools of America provides full-time employees with a competitive benefits package that includes a retirement plan; dental, vision, and medical coverage options; organization-wide holidays; and professional development opportunities.
Magnet Schools of America is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. To apply, please forward a resume and cover letter to Judy Shen, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 1st, 2022.
Please mention you saw this ad on DiversityinNonprofit.com